Welcome

Welcome to my blog site. This year I will be teaching 4th grade ELA/SS. I'm excited to embark on the new changes approaching me. I'm always looking for new ideas to get students engaged and eager to learn. I hope you enjoy my blog. Please leave comments or ideas.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Night I Followed My Dog

After reviewing the weak objectives from our Benchmark, I knew that I needed to review these concepts with my students again. I often speculate if students really understand the objectives when as a grade level they score right at a 70%. 

This week we will be reading the book titled "The Night I Followed The Dog" 
Focus Points Include: 
Inference
Main Idea
Characters Inside/Outside Characteristics




This is such a cute little story. I chuckled as I read it today. : )


You can go to this website and have Amanda Bynes Read it to the Class.





I made this chart so students can identify "Character's Feelings and Traits". It's so easy for them to describe the Character's appearance but they need to think beyond appearance. I will introduce this chart to them before reading "The Night I Followed the Dog".



In collaborative groups students will select words that identify the dogs inside/outside characteristics. The chart will be a great reference for the students. One student from the group will be responsible for writing the information on sticky notes, all will participate and provide answers, and two students will take the sticky notes and place it in the correct category.




I created a Dog Menu for Students to Complete. Since you know I'm a big believer in "Collaborative Groups"  one of the assignments on the "Menu" consists of students working together. You can download the Menu from http://www.scribd.com/doc/81361453/Menu   I will be providing more examples of students work during the week so you will have visuals of their work.






No comments:

Post a Comment